I am generally looking for things to keep my kiddos from asking to watch TV or complain of boredom. I love sensory activities (partially because I also enjoy playing with them too). Sensory rice bins are inexpensive to make, simple and easy to make too!
Here is what you need:
- Rice (I bought a 10 pound bag at Walmart for less than $5)
- White Vinegar
- Food dye (I used gel dyes because I love the bright colors)
- Plastic ziplock bags
- Measuring cup (1 Cup) and spoon (1Tbs)
- Fillers for hiding, creative play, etc. I found some fun fillers in the party aisle at Walmart and also raided our craft closet for popsicle sticks, Pom poms, etc.
- Container for play
What to do:
- Scoop out your rice by the cup full and place it into a ziplock bag. I did four cups of rice for each color, you can adjust for as much or little as you need.
- Add 1Tbs of white vinegar per cup of rice
- Put as little or as much food dye as you like depending on the color you want
- Close up the bag and shake until the rice and dye have combined fully. If the rice is very wet, just add a little more rice to the bag. Let dry fully.
- Repeat the process for each color you are making
- Once dry, pour into a container for play
*We will be doing this activity outside on our deck, but please use caution as rice can be harmful to some animals, like birds. We will be enjoying our sensory time on top of a beach towel for easy clean up.
On a side note, be sure to close your ziplock bag tightly when shaking. Otherwise, you will end like me: the crazy lady in the neighborhood vacuuming her deck. Outside. 😂
Enjoy this fun activity and please share your thoughts, pictures, and filler ideas with us!
Until next time,
One Cool Nerd Mommy
Follow us on Facebook<<<<<<<<<
n Instagram at One Cool Nerd Mommy